Saturday, April 16, 2011

Breakthrough run for Autism 5K!

What was I doing around 6:15 on this gloomy, rainy, cold Saturday morning? I was up and getting ready to run my second ever 5K race! My friend Kelsey, who was Covenant Health's Big Winner of Knoxville, has lost a phenomenal amount of weight and asked her friends to join her in a birthday 5K! What a great idea! You can read about her weight loss journey here: The Race is On!
[winner.jpg]

My friend Stephanie and I have been running in the mornings for about 2 weeks to prepare, but since this was her first and my second, we weren't expecting to do well, just to finish. This morning was coooold and rainy, but luckily when 8 o'clock rolled around, the rain had stopped. The start line was at the Pinnacle in Turkey Creek, and we looped through some super nice neighborhoods behind it. Our goal time was 45:00, 15 minutes a mile, as we have to stop and walk a lot, but we finished at 41 min and some change! We were stoked. May not sound fast to you, but for us, that was quite an accomplishment. Stephanie thought it was going to take us 2 hours!! Our next race, our goal is 38:00, shaving a minute off per mile.

Running is weird for me....it sucks during, it hurts, I get cramps, I want to quit....but it's awesome! I can't explain it. I was so proud of Steph and I for doing it. As soon as it was over, we both couldn't wait to do another one! It's addicting.

Here's some pics from the race and a little Vlog I filmed on the way there:
So tired! 7 am ride to the race site
Steph modeling the sweet T-shirt we got!

Steph's grandma came to watch Vinessa! She was great, I don't know what we would have done without her!
Ready to run!

It was about go-time!
We ran into birthday princess Kelsey!
Stephanie's adorable daughter Vinessa in her daddy's sunglasses :)

Our on-the-way to the race Vlog:

Do you run 5ks? (Or 8ks or 10ks or whatever ks??) Let me know! I would love to hear any tips you have for us novice runners!


7 comments:

  1. Thats awesome Chelsea! I dont know Kelsey but I am proud of her. Im also proud of you and Steph! Great job! I want to try and to them ks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ tgaddis89: thank you! I would love for you to do a 5K with us! They are so fun. We are doing one in May and one in June if you want to join us!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have to run? Cause I like to run and walk. But I dont know. Cause dont ya have to train for them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS:: I made a new blog. Its on cupcakes cause I love to bake. Heres the URL
    http://tgaddis89-cupcakelove.blogspot.com/
    share it on fb if you could for me. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I enjoy baking cupcakes. I'd really like to own a cupcake shop one day. :)
    About doing a 5k, I will have to think about that. When is the next 5k? Cause I thought people have to have training before participating in a k. . I do walk/jog on the treadmill.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Autism is the fastest-growing serious developmental disability in the U.S. You can show support and raise awareness by wearing one of many autism awareness products .

    ReplyDelete