Saturday, January 1, 2011

Victoria's Secret Eye Shadow in Decadent: A Review


Last time I was at Victoria's Secret, I was drawn to their eye shadow display. They carry several eye shadows in mostly neutral colors. The finishes are similar to the MAC system: sparkle, lustre, and velvet finishes are available. They also carry duos, quads, and mineral eye shadows. Their Beauty Rush line carries baked eye shadows, but in clear plastic packaging and brighter colors.
I purchased a lustre finish shadow in the shade "Decadent." It's a steel plum shade that is very similar to MAC's Satin Taupe, but with cool undertones. It doesn't have glitter it in but rather a sheen to it. The packaging is very nice, a black square compact. But that's where the good qualities of this eye shadow end. It has horrible fallout, and not just little particles that fall on your cheeks, but big chunks of shadow that are very hard to remove without smearing into your foundation. This has happened every time I've worn it. It also formed a kind of hard surface to it within the first few uses. The surface looks slick in the light but now to get any kind of color payoff, I literally have to scrub my brush into the eyeshadow. It's pretty much useless now, and anyways I wouldn't use it often because of the terrible fallout. I wanted to love Victoria's Secret eye shadows, they have such pretty colors, but ended being sorely disappointed and wasting $10. There other colors/finishes may different, but I just can't make myself purchase anymore of them because of my experience with this one.
Bottom line: Shell out five more bucks for a MAC eye shadow, or spend less on a drugstore eye shadow, but don't waste your money on this.

The Packaging:

Open:

A swatch (that I had to vigorously scrub the shadow to get!)

Have you tried VS eye shadows? What is your opinion?


1 comment:

  1. I was not pleased with the Victoria's Secret shadows, AT ALL! I got the Minerals Luminous Eye Shadow in "bubbly". At first, I kinda liked the shadow. But you're ABSOLUTELY right about the "fallout" problem. I ended up wearing more of the shadow on my cheeks than my eyelids. I would much rather pay the difference and purchase a MAC single eyeshadow. However; I also purchased another product that wasn't AS bad. I bought the Bronze Tropics Eye Kit. I love the colors and it doesn't take much of the shadow to cover your lid/crease/highlight area!

    ReplyDelete