Saturday, July 9, 2011

Summer Reads

As a jobless college student, summer means a blissful break from the strenuous school year....which can often times translate to sheer and utter boredom. Now that I am not continually busy with something, I don't know what to do with myself! Thus I have fallen back in love with reading....not the dull, dense assigned reading that I'm used to for class, but reading for my own pleasure. Here are some books I have recently read, have purchased recently to read, or are planning to purchase or check-out from the library.

Have Read: 
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, John Boyne
This novel is for young adults, but I wanted to read it anyways. As with all novels about the Holocaust, it is sad but interesting. I also watched the movie that was adapted from the book.
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas

The Diary of a Young Girl, Anne Frank
I was inspired to read these Holocaust books because of my Western Civ 390 summer course, and this one especially because I had read when I was younger but didn't quite grasp how touching and extraordinary it. Highly recommended.
The Diary of a Young Girl [Anne Frank]
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Stieg Larsson
This book is what I'm currently reading, and I am completely absorbed in it! A great thriller and mystery. I can't wait to see the movie that is coming out soon.


Heaven is For Real, Todd Burpo
I am not usually one to read religious books, but I got this for my mom for Mother's Day and she insisted I read it. I read this over Memorial Day Weekend.


Purchased today:
The Girl Who Played with Fire, Stieg Larsson
I ran out and bought this today! It's the follow-up to The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. 


Little Bee, Chris Cleave
Honestly, I bought this because it has a cool cover haha.

Water For Elephants, Sara Gruen

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, David Wroblewski

Devil in the White City, Erik Larson


Plan on purchasing or checking out from the library:
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, Steig Larson

The Help, Kathryn Stockett

The Hunger Games Trilogy, Susanne Collins

The Room, Emma Donahue

Something Borrowed & Something Blue, Emily Giffin


Catch 22, Joseph Heller (had to throw in a classic)


What are your recommendations for summer reads?

2 comments:

  1. I watched that movie, the boy in the striped pajamas. It was sad! And I read ann frank in 8th grade and I didn't want to put the book down. Right now I'm reading the pretty little liars series and it's young adult but they are pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The movie was very sad :( I have heard a lot of good things about the PLL series! Once I get this list read I might check those out!

    ReplyDelete