Sunday, February 12, 2012

DIY: Make not-so-perfect shoes PERFECT (:

Ever found the perfect pair of shoes--the right size, they fit perfect and are actually comfortable to walk in, the right price---BUT.....they aren't the right color? That's what happened to me as I was strolling down the aisles of Payless Shoe Store about a week ago. I saw a pair of size 5 wedges (which always gets me excited, it's not an easy feat to find size 5 shoes!), with nude straps but with a striped design on the side in a color scheme I was less than crazy about. Examine exhibit A:
Now some people may like the design, but I personally didn't care for it; too seventies-ish for my liking. I tried them on anyways to discover they are absolutely the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn! Plus they were under $30. I just had to buy them! I had resigned myself to find some sort of dress...brown perhaps, rusty orange maybe, to match them, when a brilliant idea struck me: I could paint over the awful design with a nude paint and have the perfect nude wedges for summer that would match just about any dress! At risk of ruining my precious new shoes, I gathered my supplies:

-Blue Painter's Tape (Lowe's/Home Depot)
-KILZ Original Primer in a spray can (Lowe's/Home Depot)
-Folk Art Acrylic Paint in #2559 Coffee Latte (0.97 cents at Wal-mart)
-Goof-off (Lowe's/Home Depot)
-Paper towels, small paint brushes, and ear swabs (not pictured)

I began by *carefully* applying the painter's tape around the edges, trying to only leave the part I wanted to paint exposed:
Next, I attempted to paint the shoe, and ended up with a splotchy, uneven mess; it was evident KILZ was going to be necessary. 
So I covered any exposed areas in paper towels and applied two coats of KILZ to the shoes, letting each one dry completely before applying the next one.
Then I could finally paint it and it look even. I applied two coats.
I removed the tape and paper towels and used the Goof-Off and ear swabs to clean up any little oopsies, where the tape didn't stick well and paint/KILZ had gotten onto the straps or rubber sole. The final result looks like this:


VoilĂ ! Nude/tan wedges for summer time! I much prefer the all-nude to the design before. It may seem like a lot of work (and it was!) but it's very difficult for me to find shoes that fit me and that are comfortable. I have a small, weird foot (I can wear a 3 in kids...it's hard to find heels that fit me that don't have Hannah Montana plastered on them!) so it was worth the extra effort. Here's a pic of them on my feet:


Have you ever put your own unique spin on shoes or clothing to make them more to your liking? It was a fun little project, and I'm happy with the results...I can't wait to wear them this spring and summer with shorts and floral dresses! Maybe I'll alter some more stuff in the future :)







3 comments: