Tuesday, June 28, 2011

My Spray Tan Experience: FAR from looking like an Oompa Loompa!

This is kind of a follow-up to my previous post about the dangers of UV exposure. I live in the Knoxville area and Sun Tan City Tanning Salons offered a special free VersaSpa spray tan with your $5 to a local children's charity. I had never had a spray tan before so I thought this was the perfect opportunity to try it.

It was very quick and simple. Just strip down, step in, push the green start button, and get sprayed. I chose the clear mist that takes 4-6 hours to develop over the instant color because it was recommended by the sales associate and was guaranteed not to get on my clothing. I Googled "Spray Tan Prep" before I went, which recommended exfoliating, shaving, and not using deodorant or anything containing oils on your skin prior to going, as both create a barrier that the spray tan solution cannot penetrate. I followed all of these tips and what resulted was a beautiful, natural golden tan that is perfect. In between my fingers is lighter than my hand, but that is what always happens with any self-tanner and with natural tans to some degree. My friend Stasia, also a first time spray tanner, went and said she had some speckling on her knuckles. Otherwise, we both agreed that we love it!

The outside of the spray tan booth

The inside of the booth

The booth is similar to a shower stall. After applying the supplied lotion to your finger nails, toe nails, and hands, and you put on a shower cap on your hair, leaving about a 1/2 inch of hairline exposed so you don't have an unsightly tan line.  You step in and put your feet on the (faded) red line and push the green start button and an automated voice instructs you to stand in position 1, then a machine starts at your head and sprays a light, clear mist all the way to your toes.. There are 4 positions total, which the salon associate demonstrates and which are really simple. After you have been sprayed, you are dried off by a machine that blows warm air and it's over. It takes about sixty seconds max. Then you can put your clothes back on and carry on with your day.

Overall, I am highly satisfied with my spray and recommend it to anybody who wants a golden tan without the risk of UV exposure. Spray tans get a bad rap for looking orange or like an Oompa Loompa, but they have really come a long way and look very natural.The downside is that it's about $40 per tan, but they have monthly packages that are a better value. 

                                 AFTER Spray Tan                      BEFORE Spray Tan

I would say it made me 2-3 shades darker. It should last about 2 weeks. (Pictures taken outside with no flash.) Have you ever had a spray tan? What was your experience like?

As always, thanks for reading! 


Current Summer Read: 

5 comments:

  1. It gave you a great tan! Looks fab :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! Have a wonderful day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the great review of Sun Tan City and I am so glad you enjoyed your experience!

    Regards,
    Victoria
    Sun Tan City
    Let Yourself Shine
    www.suntancity.com
    victoria@suntancity.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wanted to let you know about a special we are running this weekend. If you make a $5 donation towards breast cancer research at any Sun Tan City on Oct. 15th and 16th, you'll receive a free sunless tan. And if you don't have time to do your sunless session this weekend, you have until Oct. 19th to do so.

    Regards,
    Victoria
    Sun Tan City
    www.suntancity.com

    ReplyDelete